Thanks to our dedicated team of volunteers, St Helen’s Churchyard is a beautiful, tranquil space to remember loved ones and visit family graves.
Today most families chose to have a permanent memorial stone, but this was not always the case.
There has been a Church on this site since 1783. That Church building was however demolished and the current Church built in 1856 and dedicated in 1857.
The earliest gravestone in the Churchyard dates from 1787 and is that of Thomas Burniston, a shoe maker who died aged 29.
More information can be found on the Graveyard Plan page.