THE PARISH OF ST HELEN’S CHURCH ESCRICK
Safeguarding policy statement for children, young people and adults – Promoting a safer church
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC)
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy (see Appendix 1) our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture,
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Elizabeth Casling and Christine Mason as the Parish Safeguarding Officers
Incumbent: Rev’d Richard Kirkman
Churchwarden: Caroline Wandless
Date: Wednesday 18 March 2020
Rev’d Richard Kirkman – 01904 728406
Elizabeth Casling – 07704 685958
Caroline Wandless – 01904 720703
Christine Mason – 01757 248039
Useful telephone numbers:
Churches Child Protection Advisory Service help line 0845 1204450
City of York Social Services (ask for Safeguarding Adults Team): 01904 555111
Local Police: 101