Francis Penrose was appointed architect to St Helen’ in 1856. He was an enlightened Cambridge graduate with strong family and professional connections.
Has had already been Surveyor of the Fabric at St Paul’s cathedral since 1852 and has designed the restrained Tudor Gothic St Helen’s rectory for Stephen Lawley, son of the 1st Lord Wenlock. This is now the Parsonage Hotel.
Click here to read more about him F C Penrose by Sam Taylor